Current Members Term Expires Email Address
Mayor Brad Schmier 12/31/2017 email@example.com
Cole Parker 12/31/2017 firstname.lastname@example.org
John Costello* 12/31/2015 email@example.com
Jerry Johnson 12/31/2017 firstname.lastname@example.org
Greg Forsythe 12/31/2015 email@example.com
The Mayor is elected annually at the first Town Council Meeting in January.
*Costello was appointed by the Council to fill a vacated seat in July of 2013, will serve through 2015.
Town Council members serve four-year terms which commence on the first day of the year following their election and expire four years later on the last day of the year.
Show me current or archived agendas, meeting packets or minutes.
Getting to know your Town Council
We asked Council members the following questions:
1. What are your ties to West Yellowstone or how did you came to reside here?
2. What inspired you to become a member of the Town Council?
3. How many years have you served on the Town Council?
1. My parents bought a business in West in 1968. It was seasonal back then. As winter business improved, we moved for good to West in 1972. I finished high school here and stayed.
2. I was interested in the process and why the council makes some of the decisions they do. People were not happy with what was happening at the time and I was encouraged to run for city council. I am glad I did and have learned a lot.
3. I was elected in the fall of 2009 and my term began in January 2010. I am in my first term on the Council.
Contact Information: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jerry Johnson (Mayor 2000-2005; Mayor 2011-2013)
1. My family moved here before I was born. I’ve never really wanted to be anywhere else except when it snows in April.
2. I became interested in government in high school and wanted to give back to our community so when I graduated from college I visited with some city leaders who wanted me to run and I did.
3. 15 years
Contact Information: Email: email@example.com
1. In the early 1970′s Marysue and I were snowmobiling enthusiasts living in Minnesota. We heard about this “Snowmobile Capital of the World”, i.e., West Yellowstone, Montana, and we felt inspired to schedule a wintertime vacation here. After three snowmobiling vacations, we made the decision to move to the mountains of Montana. In 1975, we sold our home and businesses in Minnesota, packed up all of our belongings, purchased a real estate business in West, and moved to West Yellowstone, and have been here ever since.
2.When the position held by Pierre Martineau became available for appointment, it was suggested to me by a few folks that I should apply. I had a positive memories of when I served on the Council in the early 80′s and came to the conclusion that I could “give back” in a small way for the many good years that our family has experienced living in West.
3. I served on the Council for a couple of years in the 1980′s and now I am beginning my second stint.
Contact Information: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. I have lived in West Yellowstone, seasonally, since childhood. At a young age I began working for my parents at our family business. I received my first paying job when I was 12 at the Silver Spur Cafe. I always wanted to make West Yellowstone my permanent home and in 2000 my wife and I decided to make the move and raise our three children here. Currently we own and operate the Westgate Station.
2. I want to ensure that future growth and development benefits the whole community and to confirm that the infrastructure is capable of supporting that growth.
5. This is my first year on the council
Contact Information: Email: email@example.com
1. I have lived in West Yellowstone 34 years and have owned the Westmart Building Center since 1980. I have two children that have completed their K-12 education in West. Both have gone on to complete their College education’s one from University of Montana and the other from Montana State University.
2.The main reason for being on the City Council is it is my hope to prepare the Town for the future and to hopefully give back a portion of what the town has given to my Family and business.
3. This is my first year on the council I was elected for a 2 yr. term.
Contact Information: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org